Boiler & Central Heating Forum


    Carbon Monoxide Symptoms And Effects

    Share
    avatar
    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 13
    Join date : 2009-02-09

    Carbon Monoxide Symptoms And Effects

    Post  Admin on Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:14 am

    What are the carbon monoxide effects, symptoms and how do you detect it?

    Carbon monoxide (CO) can infiltrate your home through the most apparently harmless devices, like your Ariston boiler or cooker if they haven't been installed correctly or have not been maintained, and it is impossible to see or smell and yet is extremely poisonous. What are the effects and how do you avoid a leak?

    Carbon monoxide (CO) is a silent killer. It can infiltrate your home through the most apparently harmless devices, like your boiler or cooker. It is impossible to see or smell and is extremely poisonous, yet it is easy to protect yourself and your family from the risks.

    Failure to maintain your gas appliances correctly can lead to a Carbon Monoxide leak.

    A few simple steps, including an annual gas safety check with a CORGI registered installer and boiler maintenance insurance could prevent needless deaths or illness as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. You also get the added bonus of keeping expensive call out charges to a minimum.
    How is carbon monoxide created?

    CO is formed whenever carbon, such as gas, coal, wood or oil, are burned with an insufficient air supply. This is called incomplete combustion. When CO is inhaled it prevents absorption of oxygen into the body and can result in oxygen starvation. This can have disastrous results, including death, depending on the concentration of CO in the body.

    Gas stoves, fires and gas boilers, gas powered water heaters, paraffin heaters, solid fuel powered stoves, boilers and room heaters are all capable of producing CO if not correctly installed and maintained.

    Carbon Monoxide can leak into properties via shared flues and chimneys and people may be poisoned by carbon monoxide produced by an appliance from next-door.

    There have also been cases where gas fires have been vented into cavity walls and led to the poisoning of people living above those using the fire.
    What causes carbon monoxide to leak?

    CO can leak due to:

    * Problems with the appliance, such as poor maintenance or servicing
    * Incorrect installation/commissioning of the appliance
    * Lack of ventilation around the appliance
    * Failure to maintain your gas appliances correctly can lead to a carbon monoxide leak.


    What are the symptoms?

    The early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are:

    * Tiredness
    * headaches
    * chest or stomach pains

    If you experience any of these symptoms while using a gas appliance, you need urgent medical attention.

    Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can easily be confused with:

    * Flu
    * Severe headaches
    * Nausea
    * Dizziness
    * General lethargy

    Severe carbon monoxide poisoning makes the body turn a cherry-red colour. In the early stages of carbon monoxide poisoning, the victim’s skin will be pink or pale with bright red lips.
    How can I tell if I have a carbon monoxide leak?

    You can tell if a gas appliance is working correctly by looking at the flame. If it’s bright blue, it’s healthy. If it’s yellowy orange, this is evidence of a possible carbon monoxide presence.

    Other signs to look for include brownish-yellow stains around the appliance, pilot lights that frequently blow out and heavy condensation in the room where the appliance is installed.

    You are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning if:

    * Your appliance was poorly installed
    * Your appliance is not working properly
    * Your appliance has not been safety checked and serviced regularly
    * There is not enough fresh air in the room
    * Your chimney or flue is blocked
    * You allow illegal gas workers to install or maintain your appliances
    * It is extremely dangerous to block a gas appliance’s air vents. Blocking ventilation or misusing your appliance – for example, using a cooker as a heating appliance – can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Having annual boiler inspections from a company like Southern Power ensure the safety of you and your family.

      Current date/time is Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:57 am