Southern Power

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boiler & Central Heating Forum

How do i fix my boiler?

JohnMac

How do i fix my boiler? Empty How do i fix my boiler?

Post  JohnMac Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:13 am

Hi, my boiler is losing pressure.
    What can I do?

John scratch
    Angel

How do i fix my boiler? Empty Re: How do i fix my boiler?

Post  Angel Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:15 am

look at the pipe work around the boiler - you should see a tap(s) kind of like the ones that connect to your washing machine. turn them both and watch the dial on the boiler - fill it up to 1.5 bar from cold then turn the central heating on.

I'm not sure if you have already done this and it is losing pressure rapidly or if it has just lost pressure over a long period of time - they do this and it is important to keep the boiler pressure topped up to over 1 bar as the pump overheats and cuts out cutting the whole boiler off if it reaches below 0.5 bar - this willusually involve getting a corgi plumber out to restart it.
    If yo are losing pressure rapidly then you have a leak somewhere and I would certainly investigate. It is most likely to be around the compression joins connecting the pipe to the radiators - so have a feel aound those before ripping floor boards up etc. Other than that check out your ceilings and see if you can see any water damage coming through the plaster - this will be where the leak is.
    Plumber

Post  Plumber Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:18 am

If your boiler is constantly losing water, then the water pressure valve needs replacing. It is the valve that the overflow pipe is connected to. It is spring loaded to maintain the pre set boiler water pressure, and the spring inside is worn and letting water leak out through the overflow pipe. They cannot be repaired, only replaced. The valve has most probably got a red top on it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 1:50 pm